Can I get a divorce before being married for a full year?

I got married 6 months ago and then moved out of state. My husband is in the military and stationed here. He commited adultery 3 months into our marriage, and I heard that you can’t get a divorce without being married for 1 year. If I can get divorced, which state would I have to go through?

Asked on June 7, 2012 under Family Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are married, you can file for a marital dissolution if you have been married one (1) day, one (1) year or even longer. The county and state where you file for a marital dissolution is where you have resided for at least six (6) months as your permanent residence.

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you in getting your marital dissolution petition filed if that is your desire.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.