Can I get a criminal record expunged or sealed under any circumstances?

I was charged with misdemeanor for shoplifting the clips from a $30 beauty device. It was a misunderstanding and I refused to answer questions at the store. I pled not guilty but agreed that I would probably be found guilty. I received deferred adjudication and completed 16 hours of community service. I am 55 years old and have never been charged with any crime. I have received a few traffic tickets which I always paid. Employment applications ask if I’ve ever been charged with a misdemeanor or felony. I always answer yes and I’m not getting any job offers. It’s been over 2 years.

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have referred deferred adjudication concerning the issue that you are writing about and you have successfully completed the terms of your court supervised probabtion then possibily you were never convicted of the charge for shoplifting.

If you want to explore the possibility of an expungement of any shoplifting conviction, you should contact a criminal defense attorney as to the costs for the proceeding and the chances of success. Not all motions for an expungement are granted. Factors for granting are how long ago has the convicition happened, the type of conviction, the purpose for the request and what the convicted person has done post conviction.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.