CanI get a copy of a recording of a conversation between myself and a representative of a company?

I made arrangements to pay back a debt I owed to a company and when we spoke they played a recording notifying me that the conversation would be recorded, and now I’m a little confused as to what the arrangement was. Is there a way for me to get a copy of the recording so that I know for sure what it was that I agreed to?

Asked on October 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

First, of course, you can ask them for one--and offer to pay the cost of transcribing/re-recording it and sending you a copy if any.

If  that doesn't work, the only way to get the recording would be in a lawsuit--if they sue you, such as for not honoring the agreement or not paying the debt, or you sue them for some reason, such as because you believe they are harassing you, defrauding you, or trying to hold you to an agreement you never made, then in that case, you can use  the legal process of "discovery" (e.g. document requests, interrogatories, subpoenas) to get the recording. But there is no way to force them to give you a copy outside of a legal action, though, as noted, you can always simply ask.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.