Can I force someone to refund my money without them agreeing to it?

Back in May of this year a little over 4 months ago I began taking classes for
my CDA credential. The daycare I work for paid upfront in full and we paid the
daycare back through our paychecks. Like I said above, we started in May and are
still at the very beginning. She is very hard to understand, we have learned
nothing, and now she has started making excuses up for the last 6 or 7 classes so
we have done nothing in over a month. I have asked my bosses for a refund and
they have said they will not give one to me because the teacher will not give
them one. The whole reason we are doing the CDA is because we were told that is
the only way we can keep our jobs. What can I do?

Asked on September 14, 2017 under Business Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't do anything in regards to getting the money from the daycare: it is not your bosses' fault that the program is unsatisfactory and so they are not liable for the issues with it. They are under no obligation to repay you the money for the class which you repaid to them after they put it up for you. Only if there had been an agreement between you and them that they'd return the money to you under these circumstances would they have to.
You can potentially sue the teacher and/or the school/training program for breach of contract if (even though your employer paid) you were the one to sign the agreement to take classes from them. If they contracted to provide you classes towards a certain credential and are not in fact doing so, that is breach (or violation) of contact, and you can possibly recover from them the money you paid to take the class, even if you paid it to your employer to repay the employer for advancing the money to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.