Can I file for unemployment if offered a lump some payment at termination?

Have a letter that states if I receive
the lump sum payment when my employment
ended, I release ansd waiver of any and
all claims of any and every kind that I
may have against the company. Does this
mean that I would not be able to file
for unemployment if I accept the lump
sum payment?

Asked on February 21, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

No, you cannot be required or made to give up your right to unemployment. Private agreements cannot supercede the law, and the law gives you the right to file for unemployment if terminated other than for cause. The release agreement means you can't sue your employer for unpaid wages, for wrongful termination, etc., but you can seek unemployment so long as you are otherwise eligible. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.