Can I file for a simple dissolution of marriage giving my ex full custody of our child and not pay child support if both parties agree?

I want to file for divorce but do not want to drag it out in court. I just want to get divorced and give full custody to my ex spouse. I would like to maybe get occasional visits with my child. If we file for a simple dissolution of marriage would I still have to pay for child support or alimony if we both agree on not asking for any of it?

Asked on August 19, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your soon to be "ex" is willing to accept full physical and legal custody of your child where he or she waives any and all child support obligations for the child in the future, such possibly can be done subject to a court order approving the terms that you have written about. I recommend that both you and your soon to be "ex" consult with a family law attorney to draft up the proposed paper work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.