Can I file for compensation for an auto accident if the accident was not my fault?

I was diagnosed with a cervical strain, whiplash and a injury to my right shoulder. I went to the ER and had X-rays done and was referred to a orthopedic specialist. I was told I needed to go to physical therapy for 6 weeks to see if my injury can be healed by therapy and if not then the DR. will determine if I will need surgery or not on my shoulder. The accident was 100% the other drivers fault. I was a passenger in the front seat the person behind us got rear ended which pushed the car behind us into the car we were in. I do not have health insurance but my medical bills are going to be cost;y.

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Personal Injury, Florida


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can make an injury claim with the auto insurance carrier for the driver who caused the acciddent.  You are entitled to be compensated for your medical costs, lost time from work and pain and suffering.  I would suggest you contact an attorney in your area who specialized in personal injury and seek a consultation.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.