Can I file a fiance visa without making above poverty level on my last tax return?

If my tax return was not above the poverty level but I acquire a full-time job that provides above

the poverty level, can I get a formal letter from the employer stating how much I will make and that it is a permanent position, or provide pay stubs to prove that I will make above poverty level in a year, or do I have to wait for a full years tax return that shows me making above poverty level?

Asked on December 14, 2017 under Immigration Law, Massachusetts


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can provide an employment verification letter from the employer explaining your position and current salary and also include the last 2-3 paycheck stubs to show the actual salary and you should be fine as far as the affidavit of support is concerned.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.