Can I drop DV charges against my fiancé?

Asked on July 19, 2015 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No you cannot. First of all, it is up to the presecutor as to whether or not to drop criminal charges, not the victim. Accordingly, a case may be prosecuted over a victim's objection and without their cooperation (at least so long as there is other evidence to support the charge(s)). And prosecutors are typically unwilling to drop these cases since they don't want offenders to think that that if they can intimidate or otherwise influence a victim, the charges will simply be dropped.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.