Can I file an addendum to adjust my ex-spouses military retirement pay benefits?

Our divorce was finalized ober 6 1/2 years ago. In the decree she was awarded 25% of my military retirement pay. Due to recent advancements, which she was not part of, this entitlement has more than doubled. If she agrees to it, can I file an addendum which stipulates she only receives 25% of retirement pay at the pay grade in which we were divorced. And if she doesn’t agree, is there anything that I can do?

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that your former spouse agrees to what you have written about concerning retirement benefit issues, you can have a stipulation and order prepared by an attorney drawn up, signed and submitted to the court for filing and signature which will resolve what you have written about.

If the "ex" will not sign what you desire, then you need to consult with a family law attorney to see what your legal options are.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.