Can I file a suit against someone with no written contract?

Gave a deposit for a car/car delivery.
The car was never sent and excuse after
excuse occurred when mentioning the car.
I asked for my deposit back and he is
now refusing to give it back.

Asked on July 11, 2017 under Business Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can file a lawsuit for breach of contract without a written contract.  The problem however, is that with only an oral agreement, it will be your word against the other party.  If you have any documents pertaining to the deposit and/or car/delivery, that evidence will strengthen your case that there was an agreement between you and the opposing party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.