Can I file charges against a woman who lives in my condominium for stalking my ex-boyfriend and I?

I was dating a man that was legally separated. I live multiple counties away from him in another state. Everytime he would come to my house, his soon to be ex-wife would find out. The ex-wife eventually told my ex-boyfriend how she knew. It was a woman living in my building that her mothers knows. This carried on months after we broke up. Even if he would stop by, the woman would take pictures of my ex-boyfriend and his vehicle at my house. I would like to know if I could file stalking charges on this woman who I do not know, I do not even know her name. Yet she knows everything about me.

Asked on November 5, 2017 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, it illegal stalking to let another person about your (or in this case, your ex-boyfriend's) comings and goings, or to take pictures of him or his car in a public location. Basically, if the ex-wife could have seen it from a public location (e.g. the street) if she had been there, it is legal for someone else to report it to her from public locations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.