Can I file a pain/suffering claim and go to therapy and have the at-fault driver pay without having a lawyer?

I was recently rear ended by a truck, I chose not to go to the hospital,but i am now experiencing severe pain radiating from my neck down my back. I want to go get therapy from a chiropractor but I didn’t go through a lawyer. I want to know can I go to therapy and have the other person’s insurance pay for it without having a lawyer or do I need to find a lawyer?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may submit a demand to the other person for him or her to pay compensation, which he may choose to submit to his or her insurer. (But which he or she may also simply choose to ignore.) If submitted to his insurer, the insurer may choose to pay it, if it deems it a worthwhile claim. In short, you can ask for compensation, but it voluntary on the part of the insured and/or insurer about whether to honor the request. The only way to make them pay is to sue and prove your case in court. You are best advised to consult with an attorney about what your case might be worth, how strong it is, and the best way to seek compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.