Can i file a law suit against a golf course where i fell and injured myself?

On June 24, while walking down a flight of cement steps to Hole 15 Green, I stepped in a dip in a step and fell over. I heard a pop and could not get up on my left foot. I was then rushed to the closest hospital for emergency. Later, I was found to have a Grade 3 sprain to my left ankle and was put in a temporary case. I am being told by my Ortho provider and Physical Therapist that this sprain could take a year to fully heal, leaving me to limited range of my ankle movements, not being able to exercise or run how I use to before the accident.

Asked on October 13, 2017 under Personal Injury, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to file a lawsuit--it depends on how bad the "dip in a step" was. Property owners (such as in this case, the golf course or club at which it is located) have a responsibility to not allow unreasonably dangerous conditions on their property. If the dip was so large/deep/etc. as to "unreasonably dangerous," then by allowing it to persist and not remediating or fixing it, they would have made themselves liable for any injuries caused by it. On the other hand, if the dip was slight and not "unreasonably" dangerous, they would not be liable; if you tripped, etc. on a small or almost perperceptible dip, that would not be regarded as anything wrong which they did, but rather due to your own carelessness. So whether you have a case depends on the how big or bad the dip was. Also note that this case may not be worth that much, if you can still work (so no lost income; or had been retired, so no impact on income for that reason) and have had your medical costs mostly covered by insurance and/or Medicare/caid. If all you are suing for is the inabilityt to engage in certain essentially leisure activities (exercise, jogging) for more or less a year, that would not support a very large judgment or monetary award.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.