Can I file a lawsuit if I was given a raw chicken sandwich at a fast food chain and ate saw chicken which made me sick?

This was about 2 weeks ago. I called the customer service number and they said that my message would get sent directly to corporate and that they would call to check on me but they never did. I was really sick for about a week and still can’t eat chicken because it makes me want to vomit. Is there anything I can do for pain and suffering? My son ate some as well this chicken could have killed us due to salmonella or any bacterial disease.

Asked on July 4, 2017 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

What "could have" happened is legally irrelevant: the law does not provide compensation for theoretical or potential injury, only for what did in fact occur. Therefore, while you could in theory sue, you could only sue for compensation for being ill for around a week. The amount of compensation you could get for that is very low, and is almost certainly less than the lawsuit would cost you, even without a lawyer, because generally, when illness is involved, you need to pay a doctor to testify on your behalf, and doctors tend to be expensive to hire.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.