Can I file a claim against my former employer because they spread rumors about me and wrongfully disclosed information about my pay to another employee?

I’ve been fired as a result of another co-worker who misinterpreted my words and got too dramatic. Then my employer decided to put all the fault on me by spreading rumors in order for the other person to calm down.

Asked on November 18, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

As for your termination, the fact is that unless you had protection under the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, then you were an "at will" worker. This means that you could have been fired for any reason or no reson at all, with or without notice. The fact is that a company can set the conditions of employment much as they see fit (absent some form of legaly actionable discrimination). As for the rumors be spread about, if they are in fact false, they you may possibly have an action for defamation. However, without more details it is hard to say. At this point, you can consult directly with a local employment law attorney who can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.