Can I file an appeal to have conviction overturned?

Asked on September 24, 2013 under Criminal Law, Georgia


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can file an appeal. You have only a limited amout of time to file an appeal (often less than 30 days from the sentencing hearing).

The important question is whether you have a chance of winning your appeal and thus getting the conviction overturned. You should talk to a local criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible about that question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.