Can I evict my girlfriend, who has a child from someone else, from my home?

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes you can. Just make sure that it is a legal eviction. Locking her out or changing the locks, etc. can get you into trouble. To comply with the law you will need to serve her with a notice to vacate the premises (in most states under the circumstances 3 days is typical). This is true whether or not there is any lease in place (if she has lived with you for longer than a month or so she will be viewed either as a tenant or a "licensee"). If she fails to move out by the date specified in the notice then you will have to file an "unlawful detainer" action in court (this is nothing more than an eviction lawsuit). At such time as a judge issues you a "writ of possession" you can compel her to leave (using the services of a local sheriff if necessary).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.