Can I be charged for trespassing and park curfew if i was not caught at the scene of the crime?

I have been charged with an MIP, trespassing, and park curfew. Now the problem is that I was not caught at the scene however a couple of the people were and one of them gave up my name to the cop. About 2 hours later i was pulled over about 50 blocks from the occurrence. The cop admitted to me that he searched the neighborhood immediately and did not find my car, my car is under my parents name not mine. Does the officer have the right to run off and pull me over of one person giving a name saying I was there? Was it even a legal pull over, with no suspicion?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The police officer was entitled to stop and question you with respect to a trespass incident well after the incident happened. As to being charged with a crime you very well could be by the district attorney's office based upon the report of the police officer from what you have written.

However, proving such charge for trespass and a minor in possession of alcohol (MIP) seems to be an uphill battle for the prosecution from what you have written since you were not caught at the scene nor with alcohol in your possession.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.