Can I escrow my rent if there is a dispute over who to pay?

The home was bought on land contract and the landlord is behind on her payments.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good idea. If you are being caught in the middle of a dispute between the landlord and the person that your landlord bought the property that you are renting from the best way to keep you out of the fray is to have a written agreement signed by the seller and the landlord directing that you pay a third party escrow company the monthly rental for the unit you are in until the dispute is resolved.

By doing this, your interests are protected and your are not invloved in the dispute. If there is an agreement signed to the effect as suggested, I suggest that you get a monthly receipt from the escrow company as a condition of your payments for rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.