Can I enter into U.S. using Canadian passport and visa waiver while waiting for green card?

I’m U.S. citizen. I applied for green card for my parents and their process is almost finished, they did the interview in the consulate as well, but final step is administration review or security check which is an open ended step and nobody answers to questions, and consulate keeps telling us to check their website to see if their case is ready or not. My parents have Canadian passport and can enter U.S. with visa waiver. If they want to come to U.S. as visitors and stay for few weeks for birth of their first grandson using their Canadian passports and visa waiver, would it be any problem for their entrance with green card later? Can they enter U.S. while their green card is not finalized? I’ve heard and read contracting facts around that.

Asked on September 13, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Technically and legally yes they can but practically speaking they may be stopped at the border because of the pending green card application and may not be permitted to enter the US.  It really depends on the border officer as it is usually the prerogative of the inspection at the border as to whether or not to let a person in in this type of situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.