can I drop charges?

I filed indecent exposure charges, the party was
arrested and I got a subpoena, can I drop the charges
so I don’t have to testify?

Asked on April 10, 2016 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

First of all, it is up to the state as to whether or not to drop criminal charges, not the victim. And the fact is that even without the alleged victim's cooperation, a case may still go forward. It all depends on what, if any, other evidence of the crime there may be. Secondly, if you have been subpoeneaed to testify then you must appaer in court. Otherwise you will be violating a court order and may be subject to fines and/or jailtime. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.