Can I drive Uber? having driving license If yes, in future does it impact on change of visa status or immigration.

Currently, I am on a J2 visa with valid EAD. I am a graduate student and recently
lost my job.

Asked on April 20, 2017 under Immigration Law, Ohio


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, because as a J-2 with a valid EAD you are permitted to be self employed which is what you are by driving an UBER.  It should be fine as long as you do this only while you have the valid EAD.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.