Can I draw unemployment if I lose my job because of a DUI?

I got a DUI in IL. And I drive an hour and a half to get to work. If/when I lose my license I won’t be able to drive to work anymore. I live in a small town with no jobs and the closest town is 30 minutes away.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Potentially if you are terminated from your place of work because you were arrested and convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance you can make a claim for unemployment benefits and receive them.

Be prepared for your former employer to contest your request for unemployment benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.