Can I do something if I didn’t send a notice before 30 day ending lease?

I didn’t send a notice to my landlord 30 days after finishing the lease. From now, I have 21 days until the lease finished. I didn’t know about the 30 days. In 1/4 I emailed and asked them about the terms of the lease renewal and asked for any information regarding our current lease they didn’t tell me about the letter, they just told me that the price will be the same and I can get a letter of good standing. Today 1/10 they are telling me that I have to stay until the end of next month. The building is dangerous I got trapped on the elevator once and people have robbed my packages in the main entrance.

Asked on January 11, 2018 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you failed to timely give your notice to vacate, then you are liable for another month's rent. And such notice would be a full 30 (or more) days. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, since rent is by month, if you fail to give a month's notice, you will be held for another month: e.g., in the typical situation, if you want to vacate by Jan. 31, you have to provide notice by Feb. 28 (29, in a leap year). In this example, if you delay notice until into Jan., because you are not giving a full month (at least) of notice, your tenancy can't end on the 31st, which means you now owe for February rent, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.