Can I do anything about having the wrong charge on my record for the past 17 years?

Asked on February 2, 2013 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Many states allow you to challenge a charge listed on your record.  You need to determine from what source the record is listed: state police, department of corrections, etc.  You have to get a copy of your background check, you may need your original fingerprints and any disposition document you can get.  I would suggest speaking with an attorney or legal aid in your area.  Also consider expungement.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.