Can divorce and move to a other state while my divorce is still goiing on?

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Family Law, California


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your query asks whether you can relocate to another State while your divorce is pending. You made no mention of any minor children born to you and your spouse; accordingly, I will respond under the assumption that there are no minor children born to you and your spouse.  Yes, you can relocate to another State.  The divorce proceeding will continue in the court in which the action was filed.  If; however, there are minor children born of the marriage, the standing order prohibits removing children from the jurisdiction of the court.  Consult an attorney for a more definite answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.