Can I cross state lines with my daughter if there is no custody agreement and her father and I have never been married?

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Family Law, Louisiana


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there are no orders and you are the legal parent of your daughter, then you can travel anywhere with your daughter.  You do not have to ask permission from Dad, because without court orders, you both have equal rights and access to the child... and this will continue until some type of orders are in place.

Once orders are in place, then generally parents can travel and relocated with their children as long as the final orders do not contain some type of geographic restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.