Can I collect unemployment if I quit my job?

My husband was unemployed and received work in another state, so I quit my job to move with him and keep the family intact. My husband’s salary is more than double my salary.

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, if you quit or resign your job, even for very good or logical reasons, you are ineligible for unemployment compensation. You can only receive unemployment benefits if you are laid off or fired by your employer, and not for cause (that is, not for insubordination, absenteeism, violating company policy, etc.).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.