If I quit my teaching job duean out of statemove and I am about to start a long term substitute position over the summer, would I be eligible for unemployment?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you would almost certainly not be eligible for unemployment compensation in that circumstance. A voluntary separation from work renders one ineligible for unemployment compensation--that is, when you voluntary choose to quit or resign, you may not receive unemployment. Only if you are fired, laid off, or terminated, and not for cause (e.g. not for policy violations, excessive absenteeism, etc.) can you receive unemployment.

There are a few limited exceptions to the above: for example, some states allow the spouse of an active member of the military to receive unemployment because his/her spouse was reassigned to a new base and the "trailing spouse" had to leave his or her job to go as well. However, you have not described any circumstances in your question that would trigger such an exception.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.