Can I claim disability from Insurance company 8-years agowhen I injured myself in the rollerblading?

I had accident rollerblading while working at SUN micro systems in 2001. I was dismissed then and can not find another high-tech job in my profession since then. I started receiving social security disability since 2006 after spent all my savings and still can not go back to work in my field. Will I be elligible to go back to SUN disability insurance and claim insurance money from them?

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Insurance Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to make this claim for the first time now, after more than eight years have passed.  If you want to confirm what your rights are, at this point, based on all of the facts, you should consult with an attorney in your area.  One place to look for counsel is our website,

The law does not favor people who sleep on their rights.  If there are benefits you can claim, you need to claim them;  there are usually deadlines on these sorts of things, and you need to know what the deadlines are and not miss them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.