CanI change my plea after signing a plea agreement?

It was the only way I could get out of jail. I really am innocent.

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you will be allowed to change your plea for the criminal matter that you entered in order to get released from jail will be ultimately decided by the judge hearing your matter. Having a plea changed after a plea agreement signed is a pretty complicated and legally technical thing to have approved.

With that in mind, I suggest that the best way for you to proceed in getting your plea that you want to change moving forward is to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to assist you in your endeavor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.