Can I change my mind on an agreed upon divorce before it goes before the judge

I have found out new information to make me
change my mind on portions of my agreed upon
divorce. It hasnt gone before the juge yet

Asked on January 9, 2019 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If you have already signed settlement papers, it would most likely be too late to change your mind UNLESS you found information that your soon-to-be-ex spouse hid or kept from you, since his or her fraud (lying about or hiding key information) could provide a basis to void the agreement. But if your spouse did not lie about, hide, etc. anything, then new information would not let you get out of a signed agreement, since only wrongdoing by the spouse would let you do that.]\
If you and your spouse have not yet signed any agrement or commited to one, but just negotiated to what you'd thought would be a fair outcome, you should be able to still change your mind: up to an agreement being accepted, a party can rethink his/her position.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.