Can I change my guilty plea to a not guilty plea before I am sentencing or change my plea bargain deal?

I feel the confilt panl attorney pushed me in to a plead bargain, I now feel like I took the wrong deal out of the two I was offered. I did sign a paper but never got a copy of it.

Asked on May 20, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Once pleas are entered a court does not like to undo them unless the plea was not made intelligently andvoluntarily.  Under rare circumstances do judges let pleas be changed.  However, i suggest that you contact your lawyer and ask them what they can do to speak to the state's atty to re-open your plea and change it.  If you want to fire your lawyer and hire a new one on the grounds that your lawyer didnt convey the deal correctly and you didnt realize what you were doing, then that could work.  I suggest calling your lawyer to find out what this particular judge will do in response to your request to change the plea.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.