Can I change my decision once made at my arraignment?

I was arrested for a misdemeanor (obstruction of justice) and recently went to my arraignment where the prosecutor sort of forced me into a consent hold which basically puts me on “probation” and requires me to do 30 hours community service. I have an absolutely clean record and was actually at work when the arrest occurred. I am almost positive that I would be found not guilty in a trial. Can I change my mind and request a jury trial?

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have already entered a plea and accepted an agreed upon sentence concerning the charges against you which were read onto the record when you were at court at your arraignment, most likely you will be unable to change what you agreed to.

However, to be on the safe side, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney about the situation that you are now in and see if he or she believes that you can now change what you apparently agreed to in court. Potentially the charge against you could be dismissed if you satisfy the terms of your probation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.