If I had a real estate agent sell my home but I have changed my mind and don’t want to sell or lose my home, can I cancel the contract?

Asked on March 13, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

If you entered into a contract to sell your home to a buyer, while you can *ask* for an extension, you have no right to one: that is, it would be 100% voluntary for the buyer to give you more time. Otherwise, you are obligated to what you agreed to--that it would be inconvenient or even bad for you is irrelevant, since people cannot get out of their contractual obligations because it would be better for them to do so--and if you don't close in time, the buyer can sue you for either or both of monetary compensation (e.g. for any costs or losses the buyer incurs because you don't comply) and/or for "specific performance" (a court order forcing you to go through with the sale).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.