Can I bring legal action against a person who is harassing/bullying/slandering me with messages on social media?

I have 100 in just 2 days. I have screen shots of everything that has been happening on social media. Between the 2 of us. I have repeatedly asked her to stop. As per pictures prove.

Asked on November 3, 2019 under Personal Injury, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

If she is threatening violence  or illegal actions (e.g. theft, vandalism, blackmail), go to the police: those are crimes.
If she is to other people (not just/only to you) making untrue factual statements about that hurt your repuation, you could sue her for defamation. But they must be untrue factual statements: true facts are not defamation, even if damaging and opinions are not defamation. Examples:
1) She claims you use drugs or view child porn when you do not--those are negative untrue factual assertions and would be defamation.
2) She claims you were fired from your last job for falsifying time sheets and you were in fact fired for falsifying time sheets: that is true, so even though you don't want it know, she can legally say this. It is not defamation.
3) She writes that you are a "creep" or "untrustworthy": those are opinions, not facts. It is not defamation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.