Can I break my apartment lease with no penalties if I get a job offer out of state and have to move?

Asked on November 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In a word, no, you can not break your lease in Arizona merely because you got a job offer out of state, chose to accept it and are moving away.  Is there a provision in your lease prohibitting you from subleasing the apartment?  If not, you may want to look into doing that.  Or perhaps your lease allows you to sublease with the landlord's permission?  Try to negotiate something with the landlord. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.