Can I break an apartment lease if I get a job 80 miles away?

Asked on February 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless your written lease with your landlord states that you can end your lease with him or her if you get a job 80 miles away from where you are presently, you cannot end your lease without the possibility of being held liable to the landlord for unpaid rent.

I suggest that you meet with your landlord and see if he or she will sign a release of any future rental obligation for the unit you have given the circumstances you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.