Can I become a US citizen if my husband owes money back to unemployment?

I’m a US permanent resident and am about to apply for US citizenship but my husband has been paid unemployment benefits years ago that he was not eligible to receive so he was overpaid. The overpayment is considered non-fraud and we file taxes jointly every year. He is being making monthly payments of $50 to the unemployment office; he owes about $6500. I just want to know if I apply for citizenship will my application get approved or not? And, if not, what would he have to do in order to make me qualify for US citizenship?

Asked on November 7, 2015 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You should answer all questions on the application truthfully and completely.  If your husband and you are filing taxes together, he should probably take care of any money he owes to IRS before you apply for naturalization or at least make sure that he works out some payment plan to take care of this so that you can present evidence of this plan if and when you are asked about this by USCIS.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.