Can I be tried as an adult if my juvenile case is not dismissed and I am now 18?

When I was 17 (approximately a year ago), I was charged with possession on marijuana. I went to court and they told me I must do community service, substance abuse classes (if determined by assessment), and graduate school. I completed my community service and graduated school. I went to be assessed and drug tested and the substance abuse counselor found that I didn’t require further intervention. The problem is after almost a year I have forgotten the counselor’s name, the name of the substance abuse facility and I can’t find any information proving that I was assessed.

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Criminal Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were arrested for a crime of possession of marijuana as a minor, but you are now an adult but you are concerned that you failed to complete the requirements of your plea with respect to the assessment by the drug counselor, your terms of probation could very well be deemed not satisfied by the court.

However, you would be tried most likely as a minor since the charge against you arose when you were a minor. I recommend that you retain a criminal defense attorney to assist you concerning your current predicament.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.