Can I be terminated and denied unemployment for failing to provide an official transcript a year after I gave an unofficial copy?

I was fired and given one reason however when I filed for unemployment they said it was failure to provide an official transcript. I gave officials and copies of my degree when hired and 8 months ago during a meeting, all employees were told to bring in updated transcripts. I had nothing to update but went to get transcript and owed a balance. I gave my employers an unofficial copy a month later which they took. Then 2 months after that I was fired. I never heard word of the copy was unacceptable nor that I would lose my job because of it. If unacceptable why did it take 2 months to terminate me?

Asked on December 10, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

When an employee violates a workplace rule, policy, or directive of his or her employee, he or she may be terminated for cause, and so be ineligible for unemployment compensation. No law requires the employer to move or take action immediately on a rule, etc. violation--they may take their time and act later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.