Can I be sued or what can happen for delinquent timeshare maintenance fees?

I own a single week with a timeshare resort in coastal SC. For various reasons including unemployment, I have not paid the maintenance fee for several years. I am now receiving delinquent notices, threats of “Professional Collections” and Credit Bureau reporting. Can they sue and what can I expect will happen if I don’t pay?

Asked on March 29, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) They absolutely *can* sue, if you owe them money and have not paid it. Whether they will or won't depends on how much you owe, how likely they feel they are to get it out of you one way or another (e.g. by garnishment), etc., but they have the right to do so. They can sue for all amounts you owe, and may be able to also collect attorneys fees, if your agreement(s) with them allow for that.

2) Your credit rating will be adversely affected, affecting your ability to borrow and what you pay to borrow (e.g. the rates).

3) Depending on the agreements in place governing yoru timeshare, you could lose the share entirely. Or if you don't, they could put a lien on your interest, making it hard to resell.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.