Can I be sued if I do not have any assets?

I am being sued and I just got a job where I make $10 an hour at 22 hours per week. I don’t have money for a lawyer so I am representing myself. Is that risky? Also at my court conference am I allowed to explain my financial situation?

Asked on January 28, 2019 under Accident Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Anyone can be sued for just about anything. That having been said, if you lose and the other party obtains a judgement, they may well not be able to collect on it. At least right now. However, most judgments are godd for 10-20 years, so if you obtain assets in the future or make more money, then they can be seized or garnished.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be sued: there is no lower income or asset limit on being sued. Even if you have no money at all, you can be sued. Obviously, they cannot get more money from you than you have, but the plaintiff (person suing) can get a judgment against you that they can enforce for years to come--that is, if and when you get or make more money, they can potentially take it from you. You can certainly explain your financial situation if you like, but it does not change anything legally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.