can i be prosecuted by cashing a personal check that was wrote by another and cashed at a check cashing the cashing place?what do i do

can they have arrested?as a common thief?i am on ssi and make only $670.00 a month to servive only.can i get free representation due to my income and the fack im diabled and on ssi?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Ohio


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It's quite possible that you qualify for a public defender or court-appointed counsel, and by all means do whatever you can to get the representation.

There has to be a bit more to this story, and the bit more might well be very important.  If you were the innocent dupe of someone who wrote a bad check, you should be able to get the charges dismissed or win acquittal at trial.  However, if it looks like you were working with the person who wrote the check, you could be convicted along with that person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.