Can I be liable if I setup a website for another company with my credit card?

I have a contact in China that sells trade goods that needs a .com
USA based website and representative here in the USA to seem
more international. Not a scam I actually know this person If I set
everything up for him with my information and be the USA contact if
something goes wrong can I be liable?

Asked on March 31, 2019 under Business Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

If you were not the U.S. contact for the Chinese national's business but only paid for/set-up the website, the only thing you'd be liable for would be the bills from the web developer and/or host (i.e. what you agreed to pay for). 
But if you are listed as the company's U.S. contact, you are making yourself an agent or representative of the company, at least to the outside world, so anyone who does not get what they pay for, is injured by a product, is defrauded (we know you are confident that will not happen, but it is a possibility), etc. could potentially sue you. So if you take on the role of representing the company, you also may be taking on the liabilty of doing so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.