Can I be forced to work for free?

I am a yoga instructor working as an independent contractor. I am paid per student in my classes. A studio I work in is offering a low cost promotion and is asking me to take students into my classes that they don’t want to pay me to teach. Can they legally not pay me when I wasn’t asked if I would be willing to participate in their promotion?

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) From a legal standpoint, the issue is what are the terms of your agreement wiith the studio--that is, under what terms do you work? As an independent contractor, your working arrangements are governed by the contract, or agreement, between you and the studio. If that agreement requires you to provide some free hours or classes for promotions; if not, you don't have to do so.

2) Practically, the issue is even if you can't be required to provide free classes, remember that unless you have a strong contract going forward--e.g. one guarantying you certain hours, work, classes, accessibility to studio space for a set time (whatever it is that is valuable to you), if you don't work with the studio and help them with the promotion, they choose to terminate the relationship with you at some early opportunity, or else reduce your hours, accessibility, classes, etc. You should look at your agreement with them to see how strong a bargaining position you are in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.