Can i be fired for speaking about drugs at work?

So im on suspension for talking about drugs at work with co workers and nothing
else and most likely will be fired for this reason so i was wondering if i had a
case or is there anything i can do?

Asked on May 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you don't have a written employment contract, you are an employee at will. If you are an employee at will, you may be terminated at any time, for any reason whatsoever--including discussing illegal or psychelic drugs with a co-worker. So being fired for this reason would be legal.
(If you have a written employment contract, you have whatever protections the contract gives you; you should review its terms carefully.)

M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Would your termination constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination? Would it violate the terms of company policy, a union agreement or employment contract? If not, then yes you can be fired for the comments that you made. In fact, in an "at will" employment relationship you can be fired for this reason, any reason, or no reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.