Can I be fired for having a felony even though my employer knew about it?

A friend of mine has a felony and when he
applied for a job he put it down on his
application. They still hired him besides the
felony so there was no form of dishonesty. He
recently got fired and the employer said it was
because he had a felony. Although, the
employer already knew about it. I was just
wondering if this was legal or if it was some
sort of wrongful termination.

Asked on May 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Having a criminal background does not place you in a legally "protected class". Accordingly, if an employer can refuse to hire an employee for having a criminal background then they can also fire for it. In other words, it is not going to be legal before hire but illegal after. The fact is that most employment is "at will" which means that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. Therefore, unless your firing breached the terms of a union agreement or employment contract or in some way violated specific state law, it was perfectly permissable. At this point, you can consult with an employment law attorney or at least contact your state's department of labor.While I'm not where I can look up any anomolies in Texas law (I can do that tomorrow) I wouldn't hold out much hope that this was an illegal firing and it definitely wasn't illegal discrimination. "

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.