Can I be fired for asking to see an employees purse after theft occurred?

m a manager at a furniture store. The other
night I counted out the cash deposit. I left it
unattended and witnessed an office girl walk
into the office and come out 510 sec later.
When I re counted it was 200 short. Before she
left I asked to check her purse. Did I violate any
laws, I later put the 200 of my own money in to
cover the deposit and am now having my job
threatened because the office employee feels

Asked on May 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an employment contract or union agreement that prohibts your termination under these circumstances? If not, then as an "at will" worker, you can be fired for this reason, any reason or no reason at all (with or without notice). The fact is that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit, absent some form of legally actionable discrimination.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you had a written employment contract preventing them from firing you for this reason or otherwise guarantying your job, you were an "employee at will." An employee at will, unfortunately, has no job protections and no rights to his/her job; he or she can be terminated at any time, for any reason, including accusing someone of theft or looking into their purse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.